Thursday, May 9, 2019

Rough Cut / early footage

 
Firstly when gathering my first shots my main objective was to collect information about his life in the army and to gather videos of the photos of him in the army. the pictures shown are all Roger in the sewers Canal in around 1940, these authentic pictures make his story feel more personal as the audience feels as if they are there. By only shooting these it allowed me to put the story together in what I wanted to tell the audience. after setting the scene it allowed me to to figure out where I wanted him to sit, what lighting I wanted to use and if I want to use audio, I wanted to figure out these before videoing him in order  for the actual interview to be raw and not fake as we have already videoed it. I felt that taking these prior videos of the pictures I feel it allowed me to puzzle his story together making it intriguing to the audience.


the video bellow is my first draft of my short film. in which I was playing around with different editing techniques to use, such as overlay. where I shew the a different video over his speech, creating a deeper meaning of what he is saying. I felt this was effective in creating a deeper message, making it more entertaining to the audience. Although after creating this first draft I was keen to improve the beginning and the end, in the first draft I give background information over a video of withered trees, I felt that this background information was not needed at the beginning as you find out this when Roger speaks, instead I felt it slowed down the short film. I changed this with only a title over the video of a withered tree. as well as this I created a ending with created a circular narrative. at the end I chose to add the video of the withered trees with what Roger stands for and means "neighbour, father, friend, soldier", by ending with this I feel it will make it more personal, as we find out more about Roger and who he really is, creating cathartic ending in which links with the beginning.




No comments:

Post a Comment