Thursday, August 16, 2018

4. I've watched a new film

Movie:  Seoul Searching
Director: Benson Lee by
Image result for seoul searching

This movie was about Korean decedents that were born and raised in other counteries that travelled to seoul to lear about their cultural heritage in 1986. This film was based on a true story, these summer camps were shut down because the kids were too unruly. Many Korean people emigrated from Korea after the Korean War, this mean that their children were raised in a different culture causing their children to become almost strangers to them, therefor as an effort to change this the Korean government created these programs, although they did not work out and this movie follows and group of teenagers who are rebelling and causing trouble.

I have never heard of this movie before it came up on my suggested list on netfilx, I chose to watch it due to the fact it was based of a true story which is an element that I find very interesting.

The main plot is the children learning about their heritage but there were many subplots, children seeking out at night to go to night clubs, having fights with other schools, getting in trouble. but it mainly follows Sydney a American boy who rebells against most things, I found his character very interesting as you learn later on why he acts the way he does, his relationship with his father is very distant, due to his dad being a very conservative Korean man. him and his dad have nothing in common as they have very different morals. we also follow the story of another girl who tries to find he birth mother, as she is adopted. the movie ends with everyone going home.

one of the things I liked was the character development, everyone was so different and came from very different places, Germany, America, Mexico, England but they all came together to form strong friendships even though they did not have much in common one thing they all felt was being distant from their heritage which all brought them together. I also liked the aspect that it is based on a true story, this makes it more real knowing in one way or another this actually happened. when movies are  made up I feel more distant to it therefor being based on a true story makes it more entertaining to me.
 I would have liked if they would have concentrated more on the main plot rather than having loads of subplots which made it very busy, by concentrating on the main plot I feel it would have developed the character relationships with each other more.

I would like to use the idea that the story is based on a true story, i feel this is more touching.
I would recommend this film to other not only is it very entertaining it is also interesting to learn about different places and cultures.


No comments:

Post a Comment